Gacha vs Pay to Wear

• So, I've been lurking the forums for quite a while now, and been privy to all of the gripes that the community has regarding how the game is being handled by it's license hold and whatnot.

I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate one main point of the game that honestly, would have driven me away had it not been in place.

I abhor Gachaphons and the premise of it entirely. Capitalizing on people's desires for cute things or powerful items and locking them behind an often rigged RNG with extremely low percentage for something of value, and oftentimes even then a RANDOMIZED item, is borderline unethical in my eyes.

I'm aware that right now there's a lot of legal action being taken in various countries to ban or at least publicly post percentages in certain countries. The bottom line is it's gambling, and taking advantage of an often time younger audience that hasn't had the chance to develop monetary responsibility and restraint skills.

Take a popular new game that several people asked me to go to. Closers. The moment I saw that fashion was locked behind Gacha's, I uninstalled. (Elsword is another game I played for a while that I ended up quitting due to this system.)

Let me take a moment to also confirm I'm aware that in most these games, you can farm money and purchase items from players. Really, I do understand. But my time is precious to me, and I would much rather put my money towards outright getting the items I want, rather than need to take the time buying/selling other items or farming gold.

So thank you for hosting an English release of a game that lets me just buy my fashion. Truly.

(I use to work for Nexon. I know what it's like to have forums filled with nothing but negativity. Hang in there community members! It gets better.)

• Yeah, this is definitely something I can agree on. While the prices are very high for me personally... I've actually spent less on this game and have more of what I want, compared to in certain other games (-coughcough Vindictus and Mabinogi coughcough-) I've mained in the past. There are a lot of genuine complaints about things in this game but I feel this is one of the biggest points that have gone right, and I'm really hoping that it'll continue to go right.

• Sorry, but I have to say I found it funny that you said you worked for Nexon and then said that "it gets better" when it never actually did in the few games I cared about under them. I hope it was at least for Nexon KR and not NA. Thanks for helping F2P games stay afloat since 2003 though.

• Gacha is the worst thing that ever happened to gaming, and it needs to die.

I can deal with varying levels of "pay to win" and expensive prices, but nothing sounds worse than paying 20x the worth of the only desirable item in a box, and getting nothing but garbage.

Like many others, I too have complained about high prices, because let's face it, they're too high. At the end of the day though I still MUCH prefer a high price tag to being forced to gamble as the only way to look good in a game. I play games to have fun, not to simulate a slot machine.

• Never understood why people compare stuff to something worse just to feel good about what they want/did/w/e.

Like, what does that give you? False hope? False impressions....

You compare something to something better so you have something to strive for, no?

• Gacha costumes will come here sooner or later. JP had them in the beginning for summer costumes. KR had them once or twice. TW had them as well. Gameforge likes gacha costumes a lot. Tera by GF has premium costumes in gacha boxes, with "special packs" - buy a package of 200 boxes for a guarantee of getting the permanent version of the rare costume!

I opened once like 100 euro worth of gacha box in Tera to get a rare costume and only got a 7day version, no permanent. That's the way Gameforge does business - they don't care that majority of players will be outraged by gacha cosmetics. They only care about desperate whale players who won't hesitate to spend 200 euro to get that rare costume.

SoulWorker in general in asian servers has a similar mentality to items like Brooches or AR Cards. The chance of getting the best ones are so low, that on average you'd have to spend over 500 usd to have a decent chance of getting a few of the best Tera brooches, even more if you wanted full Tera set of the best brooches on all 5 pieces of costumes. Or the "new year scam box" with 1% chance to get Lucy AR Card with OP stats, I know people who spent 200+$ on it and didn't get that card.

If you're gonna play SoulWorker with the intention of getting the best brooches and the best cards, be prepared that in the future you'll have to spend a lot of money to get them. SoulWorker is a niche game that survives off desperate whales cashing in helluva dollars over the months/years of playing. If it weren't for those whales, the game would have already went under in KR and JP, especially in KR (JP is more popular thanks to non-japanese players from all around the world playing there).

• Sorry, but I have to say I found it funny that you said you worked for Nexon and then said that "it gets better" when it never actually did in the few games I cared about under them. I hope it was at least for Nexon KR and not NA. Thanks for helping F2P games stay afloat since 2003 though.

I more meant being a community manager being thrown at the pack of wolves always upset, complaining, or being downright abusive. The start of a game hosting is the roughest. I can't weigh in on my feeling in an online board medium on the company itself. NDA's and all that.

No, it was NA Nexon. I quit for personal reasons though.

• I've honestly reached a point that I'm more interested in the social interactions in a game rather than being the best. So I personally am not invested in cards/end game gear/brooches. I am interested in the fashion.

So if they start to release fashion Gachaphons, then yes I will have to reconsider my take on the game and the state it's at. (That doesn't mean that the fact there's Gachaphons in Soulworker for game stuff means it's ok. I should have clarified that.)

I guess I'm a hypocrite since it only effects my preferences the way it currently is. Thanks for pointing that out. Foot in mouth go.

I more meant being a community manager being thrown at the pack of wolves always upset, complaining, or being downright abusive. The start of a game hosting is the roughest. I can't weigh in on my feeling in an online board medium on the company itself. NDA's and all that.

Honestly I do not understand how one can work for one of these companies.

For me it would be like working for a company that used child workers or anything else unethical.

How do they sleep at night?

• Foot in mouth go

is that a foot fetish thing?

It means in hindsight I realize my whole point was moot cause I was being a hypocrite.

"To put one's foot in their own mouth" : To say something foolish, embarassing, or tactless.

In this case embarrassing I didn't realize that I was being very focused on what I was interested in, and ignoring what I knew existed.

• Everyone's got to get paid. Especially when you're trying to pay for college and already playing the game anyway. I don't agree with their practices and looking back I regret it, but at the time it was doing work in what I spent most of my time in anyway. I've wizened up over the years.

• I see, I see. Looks like there's still much for me to learn. Kinda hoped it was a foot fetish phrase though.

• Tera by GF has premium costumes in gacha boxes, with "special packs" - buy a package of 200 boxes for a guarantee of getting the permanent version of the rare costume!

That's not exclusive to Gameforge, En Masse had them on NA too. Probably just a dev thing, but I never really followed the development of KR on TERA.

• You heard of Tinder? Geez

• That's a conversation best saved for off the forums. (LOL) Also not one I can touch with a stick on my work computer. But I will say lewd.

Nexon NA put so much stuff behind Gachas, even some costumes that were sold as direct purchases by other region's publishers were put into Gachas by Nexon NA for our region (speaking about Vindictus) when it finally reached our shores. You must have hated your employer. :)

• Gachashit is the worst thing and I like any game that doesn't lock desired costumes behind it.

That being said, I also like any game that I can play comfortably without worrying if I might crash or stall or whatever.

This game has a lot of potential, but of course it depends whether or not they capitalize on that...or they just settle with cash shop updates until it dies.

Edit: @OP can you like condense your posts in to single ones? Quote everything that you want and then add them all in one post when you're ready.

Edited once, last by Komari ().